OUR CEMENT ENCAUSTIC TILES
Encaustic cement tiles are produced from natural materials, making it a very eco-friendly product to produce. They are created with a technique that has been used for centuries, and don’t require any heat or baking. Each tile is made by hand which allow for many characteristics that enhance the beauty and distinctive appeal of each tile.
• Cement tiles are 9/16” thick
• Make sure hands are clean at ALL TIMES
• We recommended that you install randomly from different boxes to ensure a good mix of color and shade. Also pick out any chipped or cracked pieces that can be used for cuts.
• The tiles should be carefully protected during construction to keep the surface from staining/scratching.
• COVER TILES PRIOR TO OTHER TRADES AND TRAFFIC.
• DO NOT write on tiles (not even with a pencil) as it will leave marks which may be difficult to remove. If needed, 600 grit sand paper might help remove markings.
• Each tile must be either DIPPED IN WATER OR WASHED ON THE BACKSIDE with a wet sponge just prior to install (this is to ensure that the mortar does not dry too fast and also to remove cement dust from the back of the tile)
• Use a ½” trowel on the surface you are applying the tile to and ALSO back butter the tile itself
• If tiles need to be cut, we recommend a wet saw. For fine cuts/mitre’s use a Rodia Glass Blade.
• The most common grout line is between 1/16” and 1/8” • DO NOT use a rubber hammer, just pressure from your hand
• DO NOT apply grout until the 1st coat of sealer is completely dry (sealer instructions are below)
• DO NOT use pigmented/colored grout. *AVOID BLACK GROUT ON TILES WITH A WHITE/LIGHT BACKGROUND* *AVOID WHITE GROUT ON TILES WITH A BLACK/DARK BACKGROUND* If client insists on colored grout, try/test it on a single piece or use Mapei Flexcolor CQ. Be aware that THIS VERSION OF GROUT has sand in it, so it MAY SCRATCH.
• AVOID using sanded grout as it can etch the surface. • If using a sanded grout, MAPEI ULTRA COLOR FA can be used, it is less likely to scratch.
• RECOMMENDED COLOR: LIGHT GREY such as MAPEI 103 COBBLESTONE UNSANDED
• Grout stains CAN BE PERMANENT and impossible to remove. Try not to smear the grout all over the tile like you would with most tile applications. WIPE OFF ACCESS GROUT ASAP
• Suggested grout line is between 1/16” and 1/8”
• THIS STEP CANNOT BE SKIPPED as the surface of the tile needs to be protected because it is such a porous product that can easily be stained
• TEST SEALER on a sample piece to ensure desired effect
• Use a penetrating sealer such as Miracle Porous Plus 511 (You can purchase from us)
• For each coat, apply sealer liberally to surface. Wait 5-10 mins to wipe the excess off with a clean white rag
• 2 COATS of sealer are required PRIOR to grout. Let dry
• 1 COAT of sealer is applied after grout. Let dry
• It is best to saturate the tile until it will no longer accept any more sealer
• No sealer can prevent 100% stain penetration • Sealer should be re-applied every 5 years
• Tiles should be cleaned/wiped down on a regular basis
• DO NOT USE CHEMICAL CLEANERS/CLEANERS CONTAINING ACID THIS WILL DAMAGE THE SURFACE OF THE TILE
• Use a PH NEUTRAL floor cleaning liquid that DOES NOT contain acid
• If the tile gets dirty, clean as soon as possible. If messes/spills are left for a long time, the stains can penetrate into the surface and become difficult to remove.
• You can use magic erasers to remove stains
• If that does not work, we recommend using sandpaper (grit #600) to gently rub the stain out.
• Remember to re-apply the sealer if you have sanded
• WHITE SPOTS ON TILE
-Efflorescence is an inherent problem for all cement based products. This is when you see white marks on the tile surface. It is a natural occurring phenomenon which is harmless and cannot be totally controlled. They will gradually go away with time. You can use water with very fine sand paper (grit # 1500 or 2000) with slight movement to clean stains and avoid scratching the tiles.
-This is a handmade product, so THERE WILL BE a few chipped edges, corners and cracks. These pieces can be used for cuts.
• WHERE TO PUT CEMENT TILES
-Our cement tiles can be used anywhere INTERIOR. We do not recommend steam showers, and if you are to apply it in a regular shower, we suggest a lighter colored tile that will show less water stains.
-Not recommended for a mud room or entry way.